Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Poem of Thanksgiving

I hope you will be able to enjoy the beautiful day we are having here in Waltham. As the days get longer and the sun shines brighter, you can feel that Easter is coming. This Sunday’s Gospel tells about of the raising of Lazarus; his story is a mini-Easter in the midst of Lent, as Jesus calls him out of the tomb. “Lazarus, come out!” and so he does.

In the light of Christ’s resurrection, every death becomes a festival of Easter. This Saturday we’ll gather at 11:00 to celebrate the life of Marguerite McCullough (mother of Sally Lobo, grandmother to Alison Coates and Meredith Larade, and great grandmother to all of their children), who died this week. We pray for all of her family and in thanksgiving for the gifts she gave in her life.

This week, I’d like to share with you a poem I wrote when I was on retreat in January. I’m not sure how Lenten it is, but I hope you enjoy it.


This is my prayer for this week.

The prayer of enough.
That I pray enough.

That it is a life lived toward prayer, even if not always

(aware of being)

in prayer.

That that seeking is

miraculously

gloriously

Enough!


The blue jay in his blue

Enough!

Trees without their leaves
Enough!

Tea with honey

Enough!

A path swept clear

Enough!


Grace, made perfect

Power made perfect

In weaknesss, and small small signs

of enough.


To be enough, always and already,

That is the grace

To know it and give thanks,

That is the glory.

To sing and to pray,

That is the gift.


Blessings,

Sara+

No comments: