Thursday, November 13, 2008

Nov. 13: God's surprises

This week, I have been called to “practice what you preach” with a vengeance.
We got a puppy. Unlike whatever sweet creature the Obamas bring to the White House, though, my little fluffball will not be little for long—in a moment of reckless spontaneity, we got a St Bernard. Cyrus is not quite seven weeks, and already weighs at least 20 lbs and will probably reach about 150.  The farm where we get our meat (Chestnut Farms in Harwick MA, has an agreement with Waltham Fields here in town where they bring the share of food to town once a month) had these tiny puppies at pickup two weeks ago, and I melted. One of our cats died this fall, and I have not been ready to consider another. I have a birthday coming up so Noah suggested that he could be my present. Cyrus is too small to be at home alone for very long, so he has come to the office with me this week.  If you’re wondering where the name comes from, Cyrus the Great was the 6th Century BCE Babylonian King who enabled Jewish faith and life to flourish, though he himself was Persian.  There is one etymology that says that, rather than meaning “like the sun,” and being connected to the Greek Kyrie (lord), the name Cyrus means “humiliator of the enemy in verbal contest.” But I’m letting that one go. He doesn’t bark too much. . . yet.
 The reason I say I am practicing what I preach is thiat this whole adventure gives me a deep sense of God’s surprise and presence in unlikely places. God comes to us in ordinary ways, in the stuff of our lives. We can’t predict how or when or why—God’s gifts just find us somehow, when we need them.  I had thought that maybe, when he was older, we might get a dog for Isaiah to care for. But I have always been a cat person, so I was pretty reluctant. Now, God laughs: “So, you want a surprise, do you? You want me to bring you out of your ordinary habits, to get help you to outside more often?  Here you go!”
 And here we are. It’s only been a few days, but I’ve already talked to more people on Main Street than I ever did in three years of ministry here.  I’m enjoying even today’s grey autumn. I’ve met old people and young people, mothers with babies, people who work next door and people who are waiting for the bus. The sense of openness to others that implausible gift has led me into is only grace—simple and subtle and wonderful.  I don’t just rush from the car into the office, and stay at my desk for hours. I have to get up, go out, run around.  Play is not something I’ve made very much space for in my life, but this week, it’s been two hours!  And, of course, Isaiah is thrilled.

I also wanted to share with you the actions of our diocesan convention over the weekend.  You can see the full wording of these on the bulletin board at church, and I’ll have an electronic copy of them next week.  In addition to hearing about a new ministry to veterans in the diocese (let me know if you’re interested in talking more about that) and electing people to various diocesan committees, we passed seven resolutions, for the most part unanimously:
+Resolution creating a diocesan policy on immigration
+Resolution in support of transgender civil rights and inclusion in the ministries of all the baptized
+Resolution affirming actions of the 75th General Convention on slavery and reconciliation
+Resolution on Christian formation/education regarding the spirituality, history, and practice of nonviolence in the Christian tradition
+Resolution for General Convention endorsing Feast Day on May 17 for Saints Andronicus and Junia, Apostles (as well as a second resolution on Andronicus and Junia approving use of their feast day in this diocese)
+Resolution confirming the support of the Diocese of Massachusetts for the work of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem (which also included provision for further interfaith dialogue with Jews and Muslims).
Diocesan Convention is one of those things that’s much more compelling in the abstract than in its execution. That we are part of a (for the most part) democratically governed church, that anyone can submit a resolution for consideration, that priests, bishops, deacons, and lay people ALL have a say in  the decisions that are made is a great thing.  Sitting still in a conference room for two days is less compelling, so I have to remind myself that it is a privilege to be there. Each congregation has two lay delegates who can vote at convention, but anyone can attend—let me know if you’d be interested in it next year. I believe it is scheduled for November 6 and 7.

No comments: