Thursday, December 23, 2010

Dec. 16: Grappling with hope

Dear People of Christ Church,
This weekend, we have several opportunities for celebration of the coming holiday. Saturday, we'll join together with St Peter's for a party with a Christingle service. Christingle was introduced to us a few years ago by a Christ Churcher who'd experienced in when he was working in England-it's a beautiful service of light and song (and a lot of candy, in the form of an orange covered in gumdrops-truly something for everyone). That will be at 3 pm on Saturday. Sunday, I hope you'll join us for our Christmas Play-"A Child is Born." It will take the place of most of the Liturgy of the Word (the beginning part of the service when we have Scripture readings, the sermon, the creed, and prayers). We'll open with a hymn and the Gospel, but then enjoy the play and the carols that are part of it.

This Advent, I continue to be gripped by hope. Not a "yes we can" kind of hope (though that kind is all fine, too)-but an almost argumentative, confrontational hope. I have felt a little like Jacob, wrestling with the angel. In the story in Genesis, Jacob is traveling back to Caanan, when he is attacked by a stranger, with whom he wrestles all night, and knocks his hip out of joint. Finally, the morning comes and the angel asks him to let him go, but Jacob says, "I will not let you go, unless you bless me." There's something in this story about holding on to a promise of God-the promise of blessing, in Jacob's case-and contending with God that it be realized. I feel a little like the hope of Christmas is something I'm wrestling with. I want it; I want to believe in peace and justice and the kingdom where the lion lies down with the lamb and swords are bent into ploughshares, but I have such doubt, too.

Looking around our world, it's hard to see how love will win out in the end. But those are the promises of the prophets and the promises of Christ. I believe them, but their fulfillment seems so far away. I want to hold on to that hope more strongly, really to possess it and live through it. It's a palpable desire-almost like romantic love, where the beloved is the only thing you can see.

Our own experiences, though, are through earthly time, and we are bound by it. God's promises aren't confined by that linearity. As part of the Eucharistic prayer, we say "Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again." The divine reality isn't quite as chronological as that, though. In the resurrection, the battle is already won-death no longer has the last word. Yet wherever we look, there is death-death in our economic system that favors rich over poor, death in the abundance of war, death as we act out of fear rather than love. So we are praying for the grace to live in that hope, to act on it, to bring those promises of justice to reality, at same time as we celebrate the coming of that baby who changes-has already changed, and will change-absolutely everything.

Paradoxically, I think it's my struggle with that hope that makes it feel all the more promising; as something outside of myself, I sense its reality, even as it's something I feel I don't fully have. So I guess I am not having such a peaceful Advent after all, but I'm grateful for it. What are you being gripped by this Advent? What are you longing for?

Blessings,
Sara+

No comments: