Tuesday, May 31, 2011

This week I write with sad news of the death of John Johnson, who has been in hospice since last fall. I say it is sad news because I am sad. As our burial rite says, John himself is busy making his alleluias at the grave, secure in the arms of his creator. Still, I will miss him. John called me up last summer and invited me to come up and talk with him about his plans for burial, as he felt his time was near. I've visited him every week or every other week for almost all of the last year. I will miss those visits, puzzling together over the mysteries of life and death. He was ready to go, but I was not ready to say goodbye-I don't know if the living are ever ready. John's sons live scattered across the country, so his burial will be later in the summer when everyone is able to get here.

No comments: